Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Today I made my first 75 sugar cookies. Well, I've made some before but they aren't considered real after you've tasted these. I got the recipe from the Lion House cookbook, and they are amazing! They are soft and fluffy, and they kept their cookie cutter shape. I thought everyone might try and made them because they are so amazing so I'm including the recipe. I did take pictures of the wonderful things, but as you know our internet won't let us upload pictures so you'll have to wait until I can borrow someone's internet.









Cutout Sugar Cookies

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
6 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Line cookie sheet with waxed paper; set aside. In large mixer bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs. Add milk, vanilla, and lemon extract, mix at low speed. In separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to sugar mixture until well blended. Roll out 1/8 inch thick; cut into desired shapes. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes, being careful not to overbake. Cookies should be light golden brown around the edges. Frost with icing. Makes 5 to 6 dozen cookies.

Butter Cream Icing
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
4 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup water

In large mixer bowl, combine butter, shortening, and powdered sugar; beat until very creamy. Add lemon juice and vanilla; mix until well blended. Add water and mix until very light.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yum-These sound so good, Laura. I am definitely going to try these for Valentine's Day. Have a great trip to D.C!! I'm pretty jealous. :)

Amy said...

Hey! It was so fun hanging out with you Saturday! I need to get your email address so I can send you some pictures from Sundance. P.S. I'm making this cookie recipe tonight and I can't wait to try them! Any other good recipe ideas for Valentine's Day dinner? It's my turn this year, so if you have any good ideas, send them my way! :)