Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New York, New York!

Last weekend we had the chance to go to New York City and stay in the Marriott Marquis hotel which is right in Times Square. 
Here are a few highlights of our trip:

Wednesday night we ate at a restaurant at our hotel named "The View." The restaurant is at the top of the hotel and SPINS around so you can get a view of the whole city. It was awesome.

Ja and I got up early Thursday morning and went to the Today show. We got to shake Matt and Meredith's hand and got on TV at least 3 times!













Went to the top of the Empire State Building.
Went around Rockefeller Center and took at picture in remembrance of our new favorite show "30 rock." 

Took the subway to the financial district and saw the New York Stock Exchange on Wall Street. 








Ja found a huge red cube.
We took a ferry to Staten Island to see the Statue of Liberty. As we floated past the Statue we realized it's on Ellis Island. Oh well, we still took a picture of her.
Took the subway again to Central Park. It's wonderful having a huge park in the middle of the huge city.
That night we saw "In the Heights" which was a musical about a Latino community in Washington Heights. It was a fun show and had some fun musical, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
Afterward we went to Juniors for dessert and hot chocolate.

And that was all on one day!

Friday, Ja had to help his dad at the AIUM Conference (which was the reason we went to NY) so Dorothy and I went around town.

We went to Grand Central Terminal. It was so beautiful, clean, and fun. There are stores and restaurants all around inside.
We then went shopping, ate a delicious Italian lunch, then went to the temple in Manhattan. At 6 stories high, it's one of the smaller buildings around. We took cabs instead of the subway and now I know why Jerry Seinfeld said, "Wow, I wouldn't do that in my car!" Those drivers are a little crazy.
Then it was off to 39 Steps, a play with only 4 people in it, but a lot more characters. Two people play lots of different people which was funny; funnier now when I think back on it. It was very different from what we expected so we all thought we would like it better a second time.
Saturday Tiffany, Jeff, Dorothy, and I drove to West Haven, CT to visit an old family friend, Mary. I've heard sooo many stories about "the fluffy lady" from the DeVore family so it was nice to finally meet her. The drive was nice until we were only .9 mile away from our hotel. So many streets were blocked off it took us one hour to go that .9 mile! New York streets are absolutely cramped and crazy! We felt like getting out of the car and running the rest of the way back to tell someone we love them and not to leave the country. Oh, wait, that's a movie...

Saturday night we saw the best musical of the weekend, Guys and Dolls. The songs were great, the one-liners were funny, and the whole stage looked awesome. Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls was one of the main characters. It was her Broadway debut and she did great. Oliver Platt was also another main character. I really liked watching someone I recognize on stage. 
Sunday we listened to Greg give a talk at the Conference. Tiffany and I agreed that there is no one better to do our future ultrasounds because it seemed like a lot of the doctors in the audience didn't know what he was talking about. He does have an expert knowledge of ultrasound and the fetus. 

I loved being in New York with all the hustle and bustle. I loved walking everywhere and having everyone else walk with you. The horns are honking, the wind is blowing, people are everywhere all with an agenda. You better know where you are going or you'll get run over.

There are 8 million people in the little part of Manhattan! I thought LA was crowded with 3 million and that is over a much, much larger parcel of land! 

We can't wait to go back!

4 comments:

Amy said...

What a fun trip! You are so lucky!!

Lauren Jayne said...

I am so mad I didn't see you. I always have the Today show on while I'm eating breakfast!! Love Guys and Dolls by the way, no one compares to the young Marlon Brando though!

Nicole said...

how cool!!!!! you should of stopped through exciting central PA. you could of seen cows and other exciting things. :)

me miss you guys!

Chelsey said...

I can't believe all that you fit in one day. You had a great line up of activities. I am so jealous that you saw guys and dolls.. I could probably recite that entire show. I think it would be cute if guys still called us dolls. We still call them guys, don't we? I'm glad you had fun. Thanks for posting cool pictures!