Monday, July 28, 2008

Guns, Bells, Bikes, and Food

Top 10 things that happened lately:

1. On Saturday Ja took a 55 mile bike ride down to Mount Vernon. He wasn't planning on going that far, but got halfway and talked himself into it. He's been wanting to make that ride all summer so I'm glad he did because our time here is almost over. 

2. I've started looking for apartments in the area. It's making me more excited to live here. Every apartment has a dishwasher, most have washer/dryer in the apartment, all have some kind of outdoor living space, and much more space than we had in Provo. Now if we can talk PwC into paying Ja enough so we can live here...

3. Saturday night Ja and I went to Arlington Cemetery. We talked the mile and a half uphill very quickly to see the next Changing of the Guard ceremony. I couldn't understand anything that was being said because it was in military commands but it was still cool. I have no idea why the tomb of the unknown soldier is protected that like. Does anyone know?

4. Brigham called his dad a bad parent. To see the story click here.

5. After the Cemetery we walked over to the Carillon Bell Tower for a little concert. In the summer, every Saturday night a different person plays the bells. On those nights you can walk to the top of the tower and see the person playing the bells. It's an amazing view from the top. The park ranger said it's the best view of DC because there's no line like there is at the Washington Monument. There is also a huge lawn around it so it would make a great place to have a picnic. We climbed to the top and were really glad we did. You can see the Potomac, Washington monument, Capital, and everything in between. The Arlington Cemetery is on your right side too. Jacob and Brigham were able to play a bell. The guy playing the bells was really nice. He even knew about the bell tower at BYU. The bell tower was a gift from the Netherlands to show their friendship. It's a hidden jewel in DC.

6. We watched Mission Impossible III and I had to leave for few minutes because it was too intense. I felt like I could never breathe. Now Greg isn't going to let me forget that I left. 

7. Friday night we enjoyed Bumbleberry Swirl custard from Nielson's Custard. That place is sooo good. 

8. Sunday was Heather's b-day so we had dinner with everyone. It was such a great dinner. Heather made a delicious paella, Trevor made a really really good angel food cake, Holly made a great Spanish Tortilla. 

9. I learned that my mother-in-law got so tired of her rowdy kids one day that she checked into a hotel for a night. I'm sure my mom thought about doing that with us too. 

10. My good friend April had her twin girls! She went from one kid to three in no time. 

This is Ja's last week in his internship. On Friday we should receive the information that will help us plan the next few years of our life!

2 comments:

Marel and Tom Stock! said...

Tom, Celia and I just met Tennyson and London. They are SOOOO tiny and very cute. April looks excellent. She got back from the hospital yesterday and had her hair and makeup all done up. Jeremy looked tired, but very happy. And the two little girls are so heavenly. Fat Celia wanted to crush them between her thighs... and she could have too! They're getting so big... her thighs I mean@

Amy said...

Wow--only one week left?! Why does the summer go by so much faster than a semester of school? :) I'm excited for you guys to find a place to live out there. That's always the fun part. And congrats on the long bike-ride! We rode for 2 hours last week and even though I work out every day I'm still sore from it. :) See you soon!!