Thursday, December 18, 2014

He's here!

Owen Wesley DeVore was born on December 17,2014 at 5:11 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 3.9 oz and was 20 inches long. He came by surprise but I'm so glad he's here, he's healthy, and he was early!

Wednesday December 10th I has a routine doctors appointment. I had gained a good amount of weight since by last appointment. The nurse commented, "someone enjoyed their thanksgiving!" My feet and ankles started to get very swollen so I blame that for the weight gain. At this appointment my blood pressure was elevated for the first time. The doctor wanted me to go back in on Monday to have my blood pressure monitored again. 

Monday the 15th came and my blood pressure was still high. The doctor had me do some blood work and do a 24 urine collection. 

Now it's Wednesday the 17th. My doctor called around 8 am telling me my blood work came back abnormal (low platlets) and my urine had protein in it. She wanted me to go to the hospital for more blood pressure testing an blood work. That way if my BP is high again they could admit me and induce me. I really need to be careful what I wish for! I was bummed because I really wanted to see Macy's Christmas pageant at school tonight. When I told her I probably wouldn't be going she was a good sport about it and was very excited baby brother would be coming. 

After I dropped Macy off at preschool I learned they would be rehearsing and I could watch that. I was glad I got to see Macy as a stable duck and sing "O little town of Bethlehem."

Then I drove myself to the hospital (which strangely enough is the second time I've done that). The nurse hooks me up to the blood pressure monitor an it reads 180/105. She hooks me up to an IV and says,  " I don't think you'll be going anywhere." So that's when I frantically try and find someone to watch the girls so Ja can come to the hospital with me. 

I dressed in the hospital gown and settled in. I had to have my blood pressure taken every 15 minutes all throughout the day and night. I was given the drug magnesium which is given to patients with high blood pressure on pictocin. Magnesium is an awful drug to be on! It made me really hot, thirsty, and have a dry mouth. Then it made me feel like I had the flu- shaky, achy, hot, cold, and all around terrible. I had to have it 24 hours after giving birth too. I got no sleep the first night in the hospital because of it. I was really glad I had a catheter in because I drank water constantly and would have been in the bathroom all night. 

Back to labor-
Ja made it to the hospital and they broke my water. I was dilated to a six when they did this. The pictocin in combination with my water breaking made the contractions pretty painful. I was trying to hold off on the epidural because knew recovery without it was better. I was dilating as quickly as I hoped so I opted for the epidural. I didn't know how much longer I could handle the contractions. The same thing happened with Owen as it did with Anna- as soon as the epidural was in I felt the need to push him out. So I had another natural birth but will have to pay for the epidural! I need to have more faith in myself!

Owen was a little bigger than the girls so it was harder to push his head out. I had to push three times to get his head out.  After the second time I wanted to give up because it hurt so bad. But there's only one way to stop the pain and that is to push him out! I didn't even feel his shoulders come out. I must have blocked that part out of memory. I do remember the placenta coming out and that hurting. I also remember having a bunch of people in the room. It must have been a slow night because everyone was in my room. I had a great nurse, Trisha, who stayed with me the first few days of my hospital stay.

 A nurse took a picture of the clock when he was born so we could remember what time it was. That's kind of fun to have.

My blood pressure wasn't going down like the doctors wanted. They had to up my dodge of medication and I had to stay an extra day in the hospital. When I walked into the delivery room Wednesday morning I didn't expect to stay in the same room until Saturday afternoon. 

First time meeting little Owen!

Macy is smiling here with pure joy. She loves her little brother!

I love Anna's face as she eagerly looks over at baby brudder. She was very anxious to hold him.

Anna is also smiling with pure joy while holding her little brother!

The girls were so sweet and brought a bag of books to read to Owen. (Technically at this first meeting he was still nameless.)

I hesitate to put this picture of me on here because I look terrible. But it's an honest representation of how I felt.

Finally Friday night my blood pressure was remaining stable. It was still on the high side for me but wasn't spiking or getting higher. Now I have to take the medicine for 6-8 weeks to make sure my blood pressure goes all the way back to normal. 

Sometimes I got lonely in my room but overall it was nice to relax with my new little baby. Ja would bring the girls in to visit once or twice a day. The lady who delivered my food thought the girls were so cute and always gave them food and drinks. 

Macy and Anna loved holding baby brudder. They would take turns holding him. Anna was very possessive of him. 

Macy brought Owen gifts when she came to visit. The nurses thought it was so cute. 

Proud father and cute son. 

No comments: